Skip to Content

More Info →Cannon and Lakelet in The Square

Two cannons, surplus to Defence Department requirements, were acquired by the Council and displayed in The Square from 1909-1939. See Research File A175/72/2 in the Ian Matheson City Archives, City Library for more information. The Lakelet was constructed by the Beautifying Society and opened in 1909. It is also known as Butterfly Lake.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq372_008963
Title
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 372
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
A View of the Occidental Hotel from The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Opening of the Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1915

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
A View of the Occidental Hotel from The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Opening of the Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square

User comments