Skip to Content

More Info →Cannon and Lakelet in The Square

This postcard shows the lakelet and cannon in one quadrant of the Square. Two cannons, surplus to Defence Department requirements, were acquired by the City Council and displayed in the Square from 1909-1939. The Lakelet was built in 1909 by the Beautifying Society, in the shape of a butterfly and is sometimes referred to as the Butterfly lake. Across The Square can be see the Chief Post Office, with clock tower, to the right of which stands the former, small, wooden Post Office, which was moved back and turned to face onto Main Street. It was eventually moved to the Esplanade and serves as a café now.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq240_008656
Title
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 240
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
A View of The Square from All Saints Church
View of the Lakelet in the Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Band Rotunda in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Rose Gardens in the Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Overlooking The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1915

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
A View of The Square from All Saints Church
View of the Lakelet in the Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Band Rotunda in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Rose Gardens in the Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Overlooking The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square

User comments