The Manawatu Gorge road opened in 1872, and in 1875 the Government established a tollhouse at the Woodville end (as seen at the end of bridge) when the bridge was built, around which a small settlement grew. The bridge measured 428 feet in length, and the main span was 162 feet with five side spans of 40 feet and four spans of 16 1/2 feet each. The bridge was built 68 1/2 feet above the river level to negate flood problems. Mr J. Carruthers designed the bridge and H. M. Neil, contractors, completed building 31 May 1875, at a cost of £11,000. In 1912 tolls were abolished, the tollhouse was demolished and the small settlement disappeared.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Upper Manawatu Gorge bridge, near Woodville
- Held In