A man in a bench reclines and smiles for the camera in this photograph of The Square from the early 1900s. The Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe was constructed in The Square in 1907. It was commissioned by his sister Ereni Te Awe Awe and designed by Harold Anderson, a local artist and photographer. Made of white carrara marble, it remains in the same place as it was originally erected. Behind the statue is the corner of Main Street West and The Square. The Commercial Hotel, visible to the right of the statue, is the second to be built - the first burnt down in 1900.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, The Square
- Held In