Skip to Content

More Info →Coles building, The Square

The Coles building was constructed in 1906 of brick with reinforced concrete, for Henry Coles who had a music shop on the ground floor and leased the rest of the building. Descendants of the Coles family owned the building until c1970 when the Palmerston North City Council bought the property and leased the shops. The building was closed in April 1974 and demolished in May 1974, to make way for the new Palmerston North City Council complex.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2009P_Bc135_BUI_2558
Title
Coles building, The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 135
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Coles building, The Square
Coles building, The Square
Coles building, The Square
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Ruahine Street shops
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
March 1974

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Coles building, The Square
Coles building, The Square
Coles building, The Square
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Ruahine Street shops
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square

User comments