This photograph could have possibly have been taken from the Grand Hotel, which stands on the corner of The Square and Church Street West. The statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe was erected in 19070 and the little building in the foreground is an observatory. The buildings on the Square, from left, are: United Farmers Cooperative Society (1895-1908), now occupied by the Square Centre; Millar and Giorgi (built in 1902); G S Pickering (bicycle shop); Bunting Photographs Studio; Alex Turner (wallpaper shop, once Maple Furniture now a row of retail stores). Buildings on Church Street, from right: The Occidental Hotel (on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and the Square), which was built in about 1887 and destroyed by fire in 1891. A second hotel was built on the site but in 1927 was also destroyed by fire; W F Durrand's Drapery (1907-1915); The Club Hotel (next high building); The Opera House is the building further back on the right with a flag pole (built 1905); C Dahl, dairy machine merchants, was established in Palmerston North in 1881.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Square Looking Down Church Street East
- Held In