Broad Street was renamed Broadway in the 1920s. At the time that this photograph was taken, the "Times" building was still owned by C Smith Ltd, but the scaffolding in front could be connected with its purchase and renovation by the newspaper in 1929. The photograph must have been taken after 1925, as the Catholic Church cannot be seen on the site once occupied by Garners. In 1925, St Patricks was completed further down Broad Street where it stands now. The one storey brick building in the middle of the photograph is the residence of the Bank of Australasia's manager - now the site of the Australasian Temperance and General Mutual Life Assurance Society Ltd (T&G) building. The building next door was the Bank of Australasia - it has since been demolished and is now ANZ bank.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Right Side of Broad Street from The Square
- Held In