This view shows the site of power house and the route of the pipe line. The power house was constructed at the foot of the ridge in the centre of the photograph (to the right of the wooden building on stilts). The route along which the pipe line was constructed can be seen extending from the top of the ridge to the power house site. The earthworks for the route have been completed and a tramline has been laid along the route.The Mangahao Power Station provides hydroelectric power and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by WWI, construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924.