Many pylons can be see in this photograph on the side of the hills. Visible to the right coming down the hill are the pipes that carry water to the Power House. The Mangahao Power Station provides hydroelectric power and is situated near the town of Shannon. It serves Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. After being delayed by WWI, construction began in late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924.