Skip to Content

More Info →Central School

Central School was built in 1922 in Featherston Street to replace Campbell Street School. The second storey of this building was removed after the Napier earthquake raised doubts as to the structural soundness of the building, in 1931. The modified building remained in use until 1974, when it was demolished. There were four main incarnations of Central School - The Original School (corner of Main and Princess Streets, 1872-1890), Campbell Street School (1890-1922), Central School (Featherston Street, built 1922), Central Normal School (became a practice school for teachers college students in 1956).

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sc4_007901
Title
Central School
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sc 4
Held In
Coolstore
License
no_known_restrictions

Related items

Central School
David Clarence Pryor, Headmaster of Central Normal School
Leonard F. de Berry - Headmaster, Central School (1921-1928)
Central School buildings
Central School
Palmerston North Girls' High School
Central School
Central School
Pupils outside main school building of Central School
349 College Street
Palmerston North Public Library, corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square
Construction of the Second Fitzherbert Bridge

Creation

Created By
Place
201 Featherston Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1930

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Central School
David Clarence Pryor, Headmaster of Central Normal School
Leonard F. de Berry - Headmaster, Central School (1921-1928)
Central School buildings
Central School
Palmerston North Girls' High School
Central School
Central School
Pupils outside main school building of Central School
349 College Street
Palmerston North Public Library, corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square
Construction of the Second Fitzherbert Bridge

User comments