The Butterfly Lakelet was constructed in 1909 by the then Beautification Society. The fountains were added in the 1960s.
Taken by 'Photo Instruments' when testing a camera or lens. Photo Instruments originally operated in Rangitikei Street, with a studio and darkroom in the Oroua Power Building, before renting floor space in the PDC. It was operated by Merlyn an Alfred Drew from the 1960s to c. 1989.
Behind from left, can be seen the Manawatu Standard building, Square Edge and All Saints Church.