Skip to Content

The Butterfly Lakelet was constructed in 1909 by the then Beautification Society. The fountains were added in the 1960s.

Taken by 'Photo Instruments' when testing a camera or lens. Photo Instruments originally operated in Rangitikei Street, with a studio and darkroom in the Oroua Power Building, before renting floor space in the PDC. It was operated by Merlyn an Alfred Drew from the 1960s to c. 1989.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2017P_2011-43_024406
Title
Butterfly Lakelet
Format
Colour print
Held In
Coolstore
Relation
Public Photograph Collection 2011-43
Date
1980s

Related items

Butterfly Lakelet
Butterfly Lakelet
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street West
The Square, Palmerston North
All Saints Church
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Ducks on the lakelet in The Square
"Landmark Removed" - Bridge in Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
1980s,
butterfly lake,
colour,
ducks,
lakelet,
pond,
the square,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Butterfly Lakelet
Butterfly Lakelet
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street West
The Square, Palmerston North
All Saints Church
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Ducks on the lakelet in The Square
"Landmark Removed" - Bridge in Square