Skip to Content

More Info →Hopwood Clock Tower

The clock in the Clock Tower, named Kerei Te Panau after a local Rangitane chieftain, was originally housed in the Chief Post Office of Palmerston North. Due to safety concerns both the tower and clock were removed from the Post Office after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, and the clock placed in storage. In 1953 Arthur Hopwood gifted the city of Palmerston North £10,000 to build a new tower in The Square to hold the clock and chimes. It was completed in 1957. The Clock Tower has experienced a number of changes including the removal of the original sound shell at the base of the tower in the early 1990s and the addition of a cross (both features are visible in this image). During 2007 the Clock Tower was refurbished and it is now topped with a lantern style cross.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq419_008991
Title
Hopwood Clock Tower
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 419
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Hopwood Clock Tower
1960s Clock Tower
Hopwood Clock Tower, The Square
Hopwood Clock Tower, 1975
View of the Clock Tower in The Square
Square Gardens and Clock Tower
Church Service at Clock Tower
Train in the Square
The Square
Public Library in The Square
Public Library in The Square
Erection of sunscreens on the Palmerston North Public Library

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1961

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Hopwood Clock Tower
1960s Clock Tower
Hopwood Clock Tower, The Square
Hopwood Clock Tower, 1975
View of the Clock Tower in The Square
Square Gardens and Clock Tower
Church Service at Clock Tower
Train in the Square
The Square
Public Library in The Square
Public Library in The Square
Erection of sunscreens on the Palmerston North Public Library

User comments