Skip to Content

More Info →Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse

This photograph shows the carpark at the Awapuni Racecourse. The decision to begin race meetings in Palmerston North was made at a meeting of sportsmen in October 1880. D H McArthur was to be President. The first race couse was situated at the end of Park Road and met there from July 1883 until 1903 when the Awapuni Race course was brought into commission (due to erosion at the previous site). A branch railway was laid in 1905 to carry patrons from Palmerston North to the race course.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Ra15_007591
Title
Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Ra 15
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse
Parading of Horses, Awapuni Racecourse
Parading of Horses, Awapuni Racecourse
Northern End of Course, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Crowds at Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Crowds in front of Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
George T. New with "Thimble"
Panorama of Awapuni Racecourse

Creation

Created By
Place
67 Racecourse Road, Awapuni, Palmerston North
Date
1950

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse
Parading of Horses, Awapuni Racecourse
Parading of Horses, Awapuni Racecourse
Northern End of Course, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Crowds at Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Crowds in front of Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
George T. New with "Thimble"
Panorama of Awapuni Racecourse

User comments