This photograph shows horses and riders on the northern end of the track at the Awapuni Racecourse. The houses visible are a part of the suburb of Awapuni. The decision to begin race meetings in Palmerston North was made at a meeting of sportsmen in October 1880. D H McArthur was to be President. The first race couse was situated at the end of Park Road and met there from July 1883 until 1903 when the Awapuni Race course was brought into commission (due to erosion at the previous site). A branch railway was laid in 1905 to carry patrons from Palmerston North to the race course.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Northern End of Course, Awapuni Racecourse
- Held In