This statue of Charles John Monro stands outside Te Manawa Museum of Art, Science and History.
Monro (1851 - 1933) is credited as the founder of rugby in New Zealand. He introduced rugby in 1870. He was a resident of Palmerston North from 1888 until his death in 1933.
This statue was unveiled September 26 2011 by His Excellency, Lt. Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mataparae, GNZM, QSO Governor- General of New Zealand.