Skip to Content

Built about 1875, Totaranui is one of Palmerston North's earliest houses. It was built by Peter Manson, saw miller, sheepfarmer and a member of the first Palmerston North Borough Council. 

The house was named Totaranui because a large stand of totara trees stood nearby. 

More information on the house and Peter Manson see: https://manawatuheritage.pncc.govt.nz/item/b43ae59b-5846-4aa7-a396-174315851093?child=58bb2a9f-7246-4664-8ad0-0f66ca71517b

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
COMM1539300773
Title
Totaranui House - at Te Manawa
Format
Born Digital
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
September 28, 2018

Related items

Central Hotel, Main Street West
Statue of Charles John Monro
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Corner of Vogel and Main Streets
Totaranui, Door to Kitchen
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 8
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 9
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 6
Totaranui and Awahou South School Information Sheet 2
Totaranui Herb Garden, Manawatu Museum 7
The Story of Totaranui 2

Creation

Created By
Place
326 Main Street, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
early house,
house,
main street,
peter manson,
te manawa,
te manawa house,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Central Hotel, Main Street West
Statue of Charles John Monro
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Corner of Vogel and Main Streets
Totaranui, Door to Kitchen
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 8
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 9
Totaranui Pioneer Cottage at Manawatu Museum 6
Totaranui and Awahou South School Information Sheet 2
Totaranui Herb Garden, Manawatu Museum 7
The Story of Totaranui 2