The Royale Dutch, was situated at 170 Broadway, The Square, Palmerston North, in the Waldegrave building. It was run by Peter and Maria Bares from 1945-c1958. The photograph was taken on the visit of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to Palmerston North, when more food than usual was prepared in anticipation of large numbers of visitors to the city. Behind the cabinets of food is Mira Peterson, who worked for a number of years at the Royale Dutch with her twin sister. The business was sold to two couples, Evans and Williams, in about 1958, and was renamed the Royal Dutch Lounge. Peter Bares (Panayioti Ververis) and wife Maria were both born in Greece and emigrated separately to New Zealand in 1930 and 1939 respectively. Further information can be found on the Bares family and businesses at IMCA A175/381-R.