The Royale Dutch, situated on at 170 Broadway, The Square, Palmerston North, in the Waldegrave building, was run by Peter and Maria Bares from 1945-c1958. Peter Bares (Panayioti Ververis) and wife Maria were both born in Greece and emigrated separately to New Zealand in 1930 and 1939 respectively. They bought the Royale Dutch in 1945 and Peter renovated it along American lines of self service, something new to New Zealand. This area upstairs was hired out for wedding receptions. There was a small kitchen, toilet facilites and a dumb waiter to bring food up from the kitchen below. In about 1958 the business was sold to two couples, Evans and Williams, and was renamed the Royal Dutch Lounge. Further information can be found on the Bares family and businesses at IMCA A175/381-R.