Dr John McIntyre was one of Palmerston Norths pioneer medical men. John was educated at Jersey College. He graduated L.S.A. in 1876 and was admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) the following year. John was employed as a house surgeon at Middlesex Hospitial and as a medical officer at the Bristol Royal Infirmary before emigrating to New Zealand in the 1880s. In 1884, he established his practice in Broad Street (now known as Broadway), Palmerston North and was for years the most prominent of the Manawatu doctors - the first surgeon and later the anesthetist at the Palmerston North Hospital. Dr McIntyre was also a surgeon to various Friendly Societies. In 1888, John married Ada McDonald, daughter of Alexander McDonald of Awahuri. They had two sons. After a long illness John died 31 May 1910.