Papaiōea Park is used as a football and cricket ground by the lower club grades. It is walled on the Featherston Street and Ruahine Street boundary, which makes an unusual feature. This dates to 1920 when the Palmerston North Borough Council decided to reserve land for a park. They chose the name Papaiōea to commemorate the original settlement in the area.
The structure on the right is the pavilion.