Child Brothers Ltd, Carriers and Fuel Merchants, was established in 1919 by Edward G Child and his sons, W J Child & E W H Child. They opened the metal crushing depot and plant at the end of Albert Street near the Manawatu River c1927. The first vehicles owned by the company were horse drawn and motor vehicles were added to the fleet during the 1920s – 1930s. The firm eventually became the largest carrying business in the Manawatu District. By 1974 the business was being conducted under the name Child Freighters Ltd and later became known as Child Metal Ltd.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- 2009N_Bc149_BUI_ 2401
- Child Brothers Ltd vehicle fleet
- Held In