Skip to Content

More Info →The South Corner of The Square

The buildings on Church Street West are: Evening Standard building - Erected after the 1891 fire and was replaced in 1937. The newspaper moved in to this building between 1903-1910; The Council Chambers were housed in the old Colonial Bank of New Zealand (beside the Church) - it is now the location of Square Edge; All Saints Church was built in 1878 (its spire erected in 1882). The present brick building was constructed in 1914; The Grand Hotel was built in 1906; The Manawatu Daily Times moved into this space in the 1890s and remained there until 1916. The small building on the left is an observatory; the gun was placed in the Square May 1909 and the lakelet was constructed in October 1909.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq152_008887
Title
The South Corner of The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 152
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

The South Corner of The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Church Street West
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Corner of The Square and Church Street
Postcard of Church Street West
Corner of Church Street and The Square
All Saints Church

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1909 to 1913

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The South Corner of The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Church Street West
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Corner of The Square and Church Street
Postcard of Church Street West
Corner of Church Street and The Square
All Saints Church

User comments