This photograph came from a small photograph album that belonged to Mrs R Andrews of Rangitikei House. This photograph bears the caption, "Myra, Joyce and Mrs May Feb 29." Two cannons were acquired by the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1909 for display in The Square. By 1939, the Council decided the cannons had outlived their usefulness and sold them to a scrap dealer. See Research File A175/72/2 in the Ian Matheson City Archives, City Library for more information. They served as a very popular spot to take photographs. All Saints Church is just visible on the right.