The Miranui Flaxmill, owned by A & L Seifert Flaxmilling Company Ltd, was opened in November 1907 by Hon. T. Duncan, Minister of Lands. This Mill was situated on the railway line about 3 miles from Shannon. It used 500,000 gallons of water daily. At its peak, in 1926 it had 9 strippers and employed 300 men. Surrounding the Mill were 450 acres of fibre spread to dry. It was the largest mill of its kind in the world.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Drying paddocks at Miranui Flaxmill, near Shannon
- Held In