This photograph shows the view down Main Street West, along the railway line that once ran through The Square. It was probably taken from the top of the Hopwood Clock Tower (completed in 1957). A railway service between Wellington and Palmerston North began in 1886. The line ran through the Square until after the Milson Deviation was completed in 1959. In 1964 the last passenger train ran through the Square and the tracks were removed. See 2014p_sq391_008969 for a similar view in colour.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking Towards Main Street West and Railway Station, from The Square
- Held In