This Ka Class locomotive was number 936 and had wheel configuration 4-8-4. The locomotive had the makers number 319/42 and was built by NZR Hutt Valley. It entered service in February 1942 and served until January 1966, when it was written off. This train appears to be oil fired because of the cover on the top of the tender. Some of these trains were converted to oil between 1947 and 1953.It was another Ka Class locomotive (Ka 949) which was involved in the tragic Tangiwai disaster of 1955.The railway yards in Main Street West closed in 1964 and were moved to their present position in Tremaine Avenue. This photograph was taken just before the yards were moved.