Skip to Content

More Info →Manawatu Gorge eastern end

At the Woodville end of the Gorge can be seen the Ballance Bridge on the right. It was constructed in 1905 and in use until a new bridge was compelted in 1971. To the left can be seen the railway line through to Hawkes Bay, opened in 1891. The tunnel, along with two others in close proximity, has since been daylighted (opened up) so that bigger freight containers can be used on the Wellington-Gisborne line.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2011N_Go68_004718
Title
Manawatu Gorge eastern end
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Go 68
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Manawatu Gorge eastern end
Charlie Blackburn in his taxi, Ruahine Street
John Falkner with cars
Dignitaries at opening of Ashhurst Bridge
Tony Evans collection: ‘Tony and the flash Morris’, Gisborne
Blue Band taxi in 75th Jubilee parade
Chung Lee's Cart
Palmerston North City Bus Centre, Church Street
Truck-load of milk cans at Rongotea Butter Factory
Ernest Davis' motorbike
Palmerston North Municipal bus drivers
Watt Motor's promoting an 'Oldsmobile' car

Creation

Created By
Place
Tararua District
Date
circa 1925

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Manawatu Gorge eastern end
Charlie Blackburn in his taxi, Ruahine Street
John Falkner with cars
Dignitaries at opening of Ashhurst Bridge
Tony Evans collection: ‘Tony and the flash Morris’, Gisborne
Blue Band taxi in 75th Jubilee parade
Chung Lee's Cart
Palmerston North City Bus Centre, Church Street
Truck-load of milk cans at Rongotea Butter Factory
Ernest Davis' motorbike
Palmerston North Municipal bus drivers
Watt Motor's promoting an 'Oldsmobile' car

User comments