This shop was built for J A Nash and Co. in 1906 on the northern side of Coleman Place, and ran through to Cuba Street. The 'front shop', as shown, contained groceries to the left and ironmongery to the right. Staff in 1906 included Mr W White, Mr EW Simmons and Mr L Sutton (manager), who may be pictured. Nash’s partners included H.S. Porteous, L. Sutton, and J.S. Watchorn. James Arthur Nash served as Mayor of Palmerston North 1908-1923 and Member of Parliament for Palmerston North 1918-1935. Geoffrey Watchorn is the young man standing second from right in the photograph but there is no evidence that he worked for J.A. Nash. He worked instead for Arthur Hopwood in the shop on the corner of The Square and Coleman Place from the age of 17 years, starting in 1905.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- J.A. Nash & Co. Ltd, Coleman Place
- Held In