The Gorge road opened in 1872, and in 1875 when the bridge was built the Government established a tollhouse at the Woodville end to defray the cost of maintaining the road. In 1912 tolls were abolished, the tollhouse was demolished and the small settlement which grew up around the tollhouse disappeared. The telegraph pole on the left of the bridge shows that this photograph was taken after 1879 and the absence of the railway line indicates it was before 1891.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Upper Manawatu Gorge Bridge and settlement, near Woodville
- Held In