A road through the Manawatu Gorge was constructed 1871-1872, opening up Manawatu to Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay, and the Upper Gorge bridge replaced the ford in the Manawatu River in 1875. The bridge measured 428 feet in length, and the main span was 162 feet with five side spans of 40 feet and four spans of 16 1/2 feet each. The bridge was built 68 1/2 feet above the river level to negate flood problems. Mr J. Carruthers designed the bridge and H. M. Neil, contractors, completed building 31 May 1875, at a cost of £11,000.
- Momo rauemi
- Tautuhi matihiko
- Upper Manawatu Gorge bridge, near Woodville
- E puritia ana ki