The Manawatū County Club held its first meeting on 2 November 1928 in its club rooms in Coleman Place. Starting with 15 members, it had 195 by the end of its first year. The Club was open 10 am to 10 pm, mainly to cater for country ladies spending the day in town. Other functions were also organised, and the ladies in the photograph, dressed beautifully in period costume, are enjoying one such activity. The Club still provides a meeting place for local women, with rooms at 2 Fitzroy St.
Pictured from left are members at the time: J Mathews, N Jacques, D Mathews, R Small; N Pegden, V Rapley, M Lloyd, L Mason.