Charles Monro (1851-1933) is known as the founder of rugby in New Zealand, and was a businessman in Palmerston North. He built 'Craiglockhart' 1889-1890, on Riverbank Road, Fitzherbert West where he lived with his wife, the former Helena MacDonald (1866-1962) and family. The family sold 'Craiglockhart' to Massey Agricultural College in 1944, and it was used as a women's student hostel called Moginie House. Today it is still a student hostel but the name has reverted to 'Craiglockhart'. Photograph shows the family at 'Craiglockhart' with Ben the dog. From left: Mary; Mrs Helen Monro; Linda; Hector (known as Peter); Charles J Monro; David; John, known as Jack (lying in front).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Monro Family at 'Craiglockhart'
- Held In