Skip to Content

More Info →Ruahine Street Store

This dairy is the oldest retail business in Terrace End still open, trading under the name Candy Corner (2009). The shop was opened in 1906 by James Butcher. Since then it has had many owners and traded under several names. In 1934 it was known as Bovis Stores Ltd. and in 1936 became the Ruahine Street Dairy. In 1943 a Co-op shop was built alongside it (and later closed) and in 1957 it became the Candy Corner.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2009P_Bc428_BUI_2525
Title
Ruahine Street Store
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 428
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Ruahine Street Store
Russell Street Dairy
Pioneer Highway, Looking North
Broadway Avenue Looking Towards Princess Street Intersection
PDC department store, The Square
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Arthur Hopwood's Ironmongery, The Square
Businesses and Kosy Lounge tearooms, The Square
Interior of Smith & Smith Ltd, Rangitikei Street
R & E Tingey, Paperhanging Warehouse
Wilsons for Ladies Wear
Slater's Gown Salon, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
186 Ruahine Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1950

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Ruahine Street Store
Russell Street Dairy
Pioneer Highway, Looking North
Broadway Avenue Looking Towards Princess Street Intersection
PDC department store, The Square
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Arthur Hopwood's Ironmongery, The Square
Businesses and Kosy Lounge tearooms, The Square
Interior of Smith & Smith Ltd, Rangitikei Street
R & E Tingey, Paperhanging Warehouse
Wilsons for Ladies Wear
Slater's Gown Salon, The Square

User comments