This postcard shows a view of the intersection between Main Street and Broadway Avenue, in The Square, Palmerston North. Visible are: C. Smith Draper; Dresden Piano Company; E Gascoigne: Grocer, Baker, Caterer; Barry Ironmonger; F.C. Hatch Porter; Red Bird Cycle Engineers.
This photograph appears to have been taken in Feilding and probably shows the members of an early Cycling Club. It is an interesting record of the kind of cycles and fashions of the 1890s.
Albert Cooksley Cycles, shop and workshop, was established c1910 at 3 Rangitikei Street. In the 1930s Albert Cooksley's son, L Cooksley, was also involved in the business.
The horse-drawn vehicles are standing outside the second All Saints Anglican Church, in use 1982-1914. Alongside the wooden church can be seen the former Borough Council building and in the distance is the distinctive wooden clock tower of the Occidental Hotel, which stood on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square. Picnics were a common social activity and the annual church picnic an important event.
In 1952, Palmerston North celebrated 75 years since being proclaimed a Borough. A parade of decorated floats was part of the week long celebrations. This float was entered by Palmerston North Cycle Retailers.
The Nonpareil Cycle and Motor Company was originally established in Ghuznee Street, Wellington. In November 1906 this company bought out the Palmerston North firm of Clarkson and Co. in order to establish its headquarters in Palmerston North. Messrs Eric Stanley & Charles Sydney Pees, proprietors, had a 2000 square foot show room outfitted on The Square. They went on to employ a staff of 25 people trading extensively through the North Island, with agencies in Foxton, Otaki and Shannon. They were agents for Premier and Centaur cycles, as well as promoting their own brand of cycle the 'Nonpareil'. To the right can be seen the Everybody's Theatre, later the Midland Hotel. Ernie Hind is 6th from left and Percy Coleman is 7th from left.