Previously unidentified, this grand house was known as 'Oakhurst', and was the home of Mr. J Goring-Johnston. The estate was large enough to front both College Street and Long Melford Road and was considered a stately accomodation for Prime Minister the Rt Hon. W. P. Massey's visit in 1924.
The manor was spectacularly razed to the ground in July 1927. Articles about the fire were published in both the Manawatū Times and the Manawatū Standard who reported, "The homestead, which was one of the finest in the Manawatu, was originally built 25 years ago by the late Mr E. N. Barraud, but a few years later was purchased by Mr Johnston and considerably added to by him. The property was at first owned by the late Mr W. Slack who sold 50 acres of his holding to Mr L. A. Abraham who subdivided it for sale, Mr Barraud purchasing the large section on which stood the home destroyed last evening."
The land was subsequently sold off and possibly subdivided in February 1928.
This image was published in the magazine New Zealand Graphic on 15 March 1911 (which can be viewed on PapersPast.)