Skip to Content

More Info →'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street

This house was designed by L G West for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, in about 1892. It was sold to Mr John Henderson Pollock Strang in 1903, during whose time the house was enlarged and renovated. It was also leased by Strang to the Crown for use as the residence of Lord Plunket, Governor General of New Zealand 1908-1910. Strang named the house 'Woodhey' after his wife's English childhood home. He sold it in 1921 to W Caccia Birch. After Caccia-Birch's death it was gifted to the NZ Government in 1941, and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is now called "Caccia Birch House".

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Bur41_BUI_0206
Title
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 41
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey',  Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
106 Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
Government House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
70 Linton Street, Palmerston North
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
16 Guy Avenue
Staircase at 16 Guy Avenue
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street

Creation

Created By
Place
130 Te Awe Awe Street, Hokowhitu, Palmerston North
Date
February 5, 1905

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey',  Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
106 Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
Government House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
70 Linton Street, Palmerston North
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
16 Guy Avenue
Staircase at 16 Guy Avenue
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street

User comments