Hokowhitu Lagoon is the only one of the original 5 lagoons, present when Europeans first settled Palmerston North, remaining. As part of the Hokowhitu Reserve the lagoon remained in Maori ownership until 1892-1893, becoming part of what is now known as the Caccia Birch estate and used privately. In 1940 the lagoon was acquired by the Palmerston North City Council as a public reserve, and, as part of the Centennial celebrations of New Zealand in 1970 a road was built on the eastern side of the lagoon, named Centennial Drive. In the 1960s the area was developed and the footbridge constructed across the lagoon. This photograph was published in the Manawatu Evening Standard, 15 November 1980.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Hokowhitu Lagoon, Palmerston North
- B&W print
- Held In