Skip to Content

More Info →Railway Social Hall, Church Street

This building was constructed in 1880 as the first Masonic Lodge Temple for the United Manawatu Lodge at a cost of £365. It originally stood in Main Street West, near George Street and was removed to its Church Street site in 1892, when the Railway Department purchased the site for the expansion of the railway yards in Main Street. The building served as a Social Hall for railway employees until about 1970, when its dilapidated condition led to its closure. It was the last of the railway buildings in the central city to be demolished, its demolition taking place during July and August, 1972.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2008N_Hl4_BUI_1732
Title
Railway Social Hall, Church Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Nurses accomodation at Palmerston North Public Hospital
Administration Building, Palmerston North Public Hospital
23 Taonui Street
Railway Social Hall, Church Street
7 Heatley Avenue, Palmerston North
Te Manawa Art Gallery,
Hall construction
Ambassador Hotel, corner of Broadway and Victoria Avenue
Construction of the Eventide Rest Home, Brightwater Terrace
City Council Pensioner Flats
Second St Andrews Church, corner of Ashley Street and Church Street east
All Saints Anglican Church, Church Street

Creation

Created By
Date
1970

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Nurses accomodation at Palmerston North Public Hospital
Administration Building, Palmerston North Public Hospital
23 Taonui Street
Railway Social Hall, Church Street
7 Heatley Avenue, Palmerston North
Te Manawa Art Gallery,
Hall construction
Ambassador Hotel, corner of Broadway and Victoria Avenue
Construction of the Eventide Rest Home, Brightwater Terrace
City Council Pensioner Flats
Second St Andrews Church, corner of Ashley Street and Church Street east
All Saints Anglican Church, Church Street

User comments