Opened 15 Apr 1915, the Awapuni Hospital, was originally known as the Old People's Home of Palmerston North, catering for men and women. It closed December 1989, because patient numbers were falling, it was some distance from services at Palmerston North Hospital and the buildings were becoming an earthquake risk. The Manawatu-Wanganui Area Hospital Board sold the land to Te Hotu Manawa O Rangitāne O Manawatu Marae Trust and it is now an Urban Marae. Some of the buildings remain, but have been greatly renovated.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Awapuni Hospital, Maxwells Line
- Held In