Skip to Content

The Palmerston North City Library building was originally built as the C M Ross (Rosco) department store in 1927-1928. In 1992 it was bought by the Palmerston North City Council and converted into a new City Library. Ian Athfield, the architect, maintained much of the facade and original features but the building was extensively rebuilt and enlarged to become the building it is today.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2021P_IMCA-DigitalMaster_033630
Title
Palmerston North City Library
Format
Born Digital
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Relation
IMCA Digital Archive
Date
2018

Related items

Plans, CM Ross Building, 1928
Plans, CM Ross Building, 1928
Entrance to the Palmerston North Central Library
Palmerston North City Library
Library atrium
Palmerston North Central Library children's area
Palmerston North Central Library NZPI Zone
Palmerston North Central Library mezzanine area
Palmerston North Central Library Sound and Vision Zone
Palmerston North Central Library fiction zone
C M Ross department store, The Square
C M Ross Co. Ltd lit up for their 50th jubilee, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
4 Te Mare o Hine/The Square

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
architecture,
buildings,
c m ross,
library,
rosco,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Plans, CM Ross Building, 1928
Plans, CM Ross Building, 1928
Entrance to the Palmerston North Central Library
Palmerston North City Library
Library atrium
Palmerston North Central Library children's area
Palmerston North Central Library NZPI Zone
Palmerston North Central Library mezzanine area
Palmerston North Central Library Sound and Vision Zone
Palmerston North Central Library fiction zone
C M Ross department store, The Square
C M Ross Co. Ltd lit up for their 50th jubilee, The Square