This view of the scheme shows constuction of the power house underway. The Mangahao Power Station is a hydroelectric power station near the town of Shannon, Horowhenua. After being delayed by World War One, access roading and foundation testing was started by late 1919 and the station opened in November 1924. It makes use of Mangahao River, through a series of tunnels and piplines totaling 4.8 kilometers, in the Tararua Ranges. Mangahao Power Station became the power station for Wellington, Horowhenua, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, and the Wairarapa. As of 2012, it is jointly owned and operated by Todd Energy and King Country Energy.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Construction of the Mangahao Electric Power Scheme
- Held In