The Coronation Fountain was built in 1902 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII. It has been moved several times - once to the corner of the Square near the City Library to make way for the War Memorial (built 1925) and again in 2005 to the corner of the Square near Broadway Avenue.
Built in 1906, the Post Office, on the corner of The Square and Main Street, was Palmerston North’s fourth. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a restaurant and bar.