An interesting view of how the fountain in the Square used to look before the addition of the spire from the Coronation Monument (also visible) was added (thus creating the Coronation Fountain). This image is looking across the Square to Church Street East, with Main Street East running across the photo. Visible on the section of The Square between Main Street East and Church Street East are The United Farmers Cooperative Association (this operated from 1895 to 1908), Millar and Giorgi's building (opened in 1902), C.S. Pickering, Bunting Studio and A Turner. Along Church Street is the Club Hotel, W F Durward (drapery), Occidental Hotel (corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and the Square). The Band Rotunda was first built in 1899 and a second larger one (here) was built in 1907).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- A View of the Fountain in the Square
- B&W print
- Held In