Skip to Content

People observe the remians of the Clarendon Hotel, burned down by fire 28 January 1904. The Clarendon Hotel was built in 1873 on the corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square. The original two-storey wooden building was replaced by a three-storey brick building on the same site. After the 1931 Napier earthquake the top storey was removed. Later the building was demolished to make way for the M L C building. Looking down Coleman Mall to the left, can be seen the stables on George Street.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Ho 33
Date
January 29, 1904
Digitisation ID
2011N_Ho33_004783
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Post Office Hotel and H L Young building, Broadway
Hotel Midland, Coleman Mall
Majestic Hotel, Fitzherbert Avenue
Third Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street west
Clarendon Hotel, corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
Carlton Hotel, Cuba Street
Hotel Princess, Main Street
Taverners Arms, Main Street
Second Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street West
Post Office Hotel, Foxton
Child's second Commercial Hotel
Princess Hotel, Main Street East

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
mlc,
photographs,
pub,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Post Office Hotel and H L Young building, Broadway
Hotel Midland, Coleman Mall
Majestic Hotel, Fitzherbert Avenue
Third Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street west
Clarendon Hotel, corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
Carlton Hotel, Cuba Street
Hotel Princess, Main Street
Taverners Arms, Main Street
Second Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street West
Post Office Hotel, Foxton
Child's second Commercial Hotel
Princess Hotel, Main Street East