Skip to Content

More Info →Eketahuna Hotel

Those who first settled in Eketahuna were mostly Swedish, who arrived in 1873 to clear what was known as the Forty Mile Bush. The settlers called their new home Mellemskov which means, 'Heart of the Forest' and maps of the 1870s give this name for the settlement. However, by the end of the seventies the name had reverted to the Maori one of Eketahuna which means, 'to run aground on a sandbank'; so named by the 'tangata whenua' to describe that location where their waka or canoes could travel no further up the Makakahi River, which bisects the township.This photograph showing the Eketahuna Hotel is reproduced in Petersen's hisory of Scandinavian settlement in the Forty Mile Bush.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010P_Eke1_3576
Title
Eketahuna Hotel
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Eke1
Held In
Community Archives

Related items

Eketahuna Hotel
Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
The Royal, Rangitikei Street
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
S T Hunt, Carriers, Church Street
Hotel Princess, Main Street
Demolition of Hotel Imperial, Rangitikei Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Eketahuna, Wairarapa
Date
circa 1880

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Eketahuna Hotel
Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
The Royal, Rangitikei Street
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
S T Hunt, Carriers, Church Street
Hotel Princess, Main Street
Demolition of Hotel Imperial, Rangitikei Street

User comments