Skip to Content

More Info →Monro Memorial, Massey University

The opening of the Monro memorial, at Massey University, dedicated to C.J. Munro, who is recognised as introducing rugby to New Zealand. Charles Monro and his family lived in Fitzherbert, across the road from the memorial. He built 'Craiglockhart' in 1889, which was bought by Massey Agricultural College (now Massey University) and has been used as student accommodation since the 1940s. From left: Dr. A. Stewart, Vice Chancellor of Massey University; Dr. J.S. Munro, son of C.S. Munro; Mr A.C. Rippin, President of the NZ Rugby Union; Mr C.J. Warn, President of the Manawatu Rugby Union.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2011p_Mo3_005789
Title
Monro Memorial, Massey University
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Mo 3
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri
56 Brightwater Terrace
349 College Street
349 College Street
Salvation Army Emergency Lodge, 3 Victoria Avenue
United Farmers Co-operative Association Ltd, The Square
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Fitzherbert Park Sportground Grandstand
Council Chamber, The Square
Bank of New Zealand, corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street
Post Office Hotel, Foxton

Creation

Created By
Place
Bourke Road, Massey University
Date
May 5, 1975

Object rights

Credit Line
Manawatu Evening Standard

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri
56 Brightwater Terrace
349 College Street
349 College Street
Salvation Army Emergency Lodge, 3 Victoria Avenue
United Farmers Co-operative Association Ltd, The Square
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Fitzherbert Park Sportground Grandstand
Council Chamber, The Square
Bank of New Zealand, corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street
Post Office Hotel, Foxton

User comments