John Nairn came to Palmerston North from the South Island and purchased a property, then at the end of College Street, in 1893. It was on this property that he built his house and the Manawatu Vineries business. He built a series of glasshouses irrigated by an artesian bore, sunk in 1905, the first well sunk in Palmerston North. The business largely grew grapes, cucumbers and tomatoes in the seven glasshouses and surrounding plots of land. John Nairn retired in 1928, leaving management to his son S M Nairn who continued until 1943 when he sold his half interest to C F Robinson. The Nairn property was subdivided for housing in 1959 and Nairn Crescent was constructed beside the Nairn house soon after. John Nairn’s house is seen here from the site of the present day Nairn Crescent.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- John Nairn's residence, College Street
- Held In