Skip to Content

More Info →'Atawhai', Fitzherbert

'Atawhai', meaning 'warm welcome', was built for Edwin Keiller, a widower, as a healthy place to raise his children. It was designed by C.T. Natusch, the architect, and built by Arthur Bennett at the top of the bluff across the bridge from Palmerston North. At the time building materials had to be hauled up the bluff by a double pulley, although a steep access road was built at a later date. The house had 17 rooms, plus sculleries and pantries, and included a veranda facing the sun. In 1963 the Presbyterian Educational Trust bought the house and it is administered in conjunction with Massey University as a hostel for students. It is now known as Fergusson Hall.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur75_3172
Title
'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 75
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri
56 Brightwater Terrace
349 College Street
349 College Street
Salvation Army Emergency Lodge, 3 Victoria Avenue
United Farmers Co-operative Association Ltd, The Square
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Fitzherbert Park Sportground Grandstand
Council Chamber, The Square
Bank of New Zealand, corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street
Post Office Hotel, Foxton

Creation

Created By
Place
Massey College, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1950 to circa 1959

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri
56 Brightwater Terrace
349 College Street
349 College Street
Salvation Army Emergency Lodge, 3 Victoria Avenue
United Farmers Co-operative Association Ltd, The Square
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Fitzherbert Park Sportground Grandstand
Council Chamber, The Square
Bank of New Zealand, corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street
Post Office Hotel, Foxton

User comments