Broad Street, Palmerston North, is now known as Broadway Avenue. This photo is taken from the roadside near the Convent School (Section 12) and looks westward towards The Square. On the far right can be seen part of a Livery Stable (without verandah) and the shop next to this stable is occupied by Mr J Granston, bootmaker. The State Theatre building now stands on the site of these two buildings (on Section 103). The two-storey building on the right was occupied by R & E Tingey Ltd, painters and paperhangers. This building was replaced by a two-storey concrete building in 1931. Further along the street can be seen a sign reading "SWALLOW, Bookseller and Stationer". This firm occupied a two-storey wooden building with five upstairs windows. The building was destroyed by fire in 1909 and Collinson & Cunninghame Ltd erected a two-storey brick building on the site. At the time this photo was taken Collinson & Cunninghame's department store occupied part of the white two-storey building (with three upstairs windows) alongside Swallow's premises. On the left-hand side of the photo is the south side of Broad Street. The only building that can be seen is D & T O'Reilly's plumbing shop. The empty section next to O'Reilly's became the site of G H Bennett & Co's bookshop (now Whitcoulls).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Broad Street, looking towards The Square
- Held In